My boyfriend works remote, and ever since we moved into the camper his “office” has been the kitchen table. This was quite annoying over time since his work supplies were taking up the space where we eat. We decided to remove the couch that we rarely used so we could put in a desk for him. Below you can see the space we had to work with and how to build a Murphy desk.
- A wood top: We bought a remnant piece of wood from Devo’s Custom Woodworking shop, that we found on Facebook Marketplace listing – here.
- Legs: We used two 30″ black iron pipes, two 90 degree black iron fittings, and four black iron flanges to create an industrial look.
- Wood screws
- Two hinges
- A drill / drill bits
- Spray paint (optional)
- Find a Top: You can use just about anything as a top. It doesn’t have to be fancy or expensive. We located a custom wood working business who sells remnant pieces and when we got there we fell in love with this piece. It is a mix of a hard and soft wood and was responsibly sourced from Costa Rica. We chose this piece specifically, because it matched the dimensions we needed. This will also be easy to match when we go back to get a piece for the bar area that we plan on building.
2. Attaching Hinges: Since the camper doesn’t have regular studs like a house would, we had to add extra support by using a furring strip board. Screw the hinges into the cut piece of board and attach them to the wall. If you have two studs to drill into then you can skip this step and just screw the hinges into the wall.
3. Adding Legs: For the first leg, take one of the 30″ pipes and screw a flange on each end. Next, use the drill and screws to attach the flange to the corner of the desk. Do the same thing for the second leg. (Optional: spray paint the legs for a sleeker look and maybe take off the tags lol)
4. Mounting the Top: Flip over your desk top with the legs attached. Line up the hinges with the edged of the desk. Don’t forget to make sure its level. Once in the right position, screw the hinges into place.
Now that you’re desk is all done, simply unscrew the pipe from the flange attached to the desk and now it is able to fold down. Fold it away to maximize space or keep it up to maximize productivity.